torstai 26. joulukuuta 2013

Myanmar!

I made it to Myanmar easily. Had no problems, didn't forget anything, and got my visa on arrival (and can highly recommend everybody to get rather a visa on arrival than running after it in embassies!) just like that (just that I had to send some weeks ago copies of my passport, photos, etc. to a travel agency). Then I got into a taxi (taxis charge too much from the airport to the city, so remember to bargain, if you end up in Yangon one day) and to the hotel. Which is located 10 kilometers away from the city center - and that is perfect: I'm again in a neighborhood, where are no other tourists and where I can see and observe how the locals live. It takes just cheap 15 minutes by taxi to get to downtown from here.


Actually I have a feeling, that I'm the only foreigner in this hotel. So in a way I'm all alone; there's no one to talk to (people don't really speak English around here), but then again I'm not feeling lonely at all. People here are like Philippians; they smile friendly as if I was a sister or a friend, and they make me feel very safe and welcome. So safe, that I've been walking along dark, narrow alleys (last night after arriving) as well as big, busy streets without any worries. I read somewhere, that Yangon is the most safest city in the world, and I totally agree with that. I tested it last night by walking on streets, that I wouldn't dare to step into alone at night somewhere else. Might sound crazy, that I test something like that, but believe me it's not. It's more than safe here. And I need some experiences to my texts. I need to win my fears - one of them is dark, narrow alleys at the night time - in a secure place.


Nice thing is, that the local men are not shouting anything after me (in comparison to, for example, Greek men - Myanmar is a heaven for a woman, who wants to be left alone and who feels angry, when people whistle or say something stupid when she walks past) and everybody is just welcoming all the visitors with a warm smile - kids, women, men, old, young, middle-aged. In my opinion all should once in a lifetime travel to countries like Philippines or Myanmar to learn some habits and right way of smiling. It makes such a big difference. I've been walking around this city with a real, deep smile on my face just because the locals make me feel so comfy and just because they throw such warm smiles at people passing by. 


I'm, by the way, totally exhausted. Couldn't sleep well last night, because there's a temple or a mosque or something next to the hotel, and someone decided to have a mess all night long. Via loudspeakers. But that's now perfect; tonite I'll go early to bed. Have to wake up at 4 AM to catch my flight to Bagan, where I'll explore the most beautiful temples I've ever seen. Or at least that's what I'm expecting. Have seen Angkor Wat in Cambodia already, and it was breathtaking, but Bagan might be even more.

I like the way the houses are painted here. Soft colors, everything is pretty worn out, some houses are painted half with light green half with pink. Some with blue, some are white, some are just colorless or grey.
Today I saw the great, golden, amazing Scwedagon Pagoda. Wow. It was so bright and beautiful, that I spent more than an hour there with my mouth open. Staring at things like a fish. Sitting down once in a while to stare some more.

After that I walked down to the Kan Daw Gyi Lake, drank a papaya shake (and observed really rude Russian tourist, who was treating the waitress in such a rude way, that I wanted to go and shake that woman!!), walked like crazy and thought about my script. It's been great to walk around. And think.

Then I took a taxi to the downtown, walked and walked and walked and walked around, checked the "great" market area (it was huge and the good thing is, that no one was forcing me to buy anything nor was it too much to bare, actually it was nice to walk around and look what they've got to sell), ate some stuff from the streets (for example an avocado shake, which I actually ate rather than drank and which I had to throw away in the end..it was tasty, I love avocado, but I happened to see how the person making it made it; with totally dirty fingers, which she dipped into my shake to taste it, and then dipped them again in it, and just to be polite I drank one third of it almost throwing up, and I don't want to get sick from avocado, because avocado is all I need, I love avocado ALMOST more than myself!).

You can walk almost everywhere here, but sometimes it's good watch your step.
All together I was up on my feet on the streets from 9 AM till 17 PM. Wow. After getting back to the hotel I went once more out to get some dinner. And found myself at somekind of a buddhist festival, where locals were having fun, and where I could find so so much to eat, that I'm now exploding. Bought this and that from quite many stands, brought them to the hotel, and ate them here. Luckily everything was vegetarian - had to kind of close my eyes and just guess, what I was buying. I got myself stuffed for less than 1 euro. Earlier today the same thing. Food is cheap and good here as long as you look somewhere else, when they're cooking it. I can eat everything if I don't know, how dirty the hands of the cook are. At work I wash my hands all the time, as well as on my holidays, so I kind of care about how the hands touching my food (or me!) are..anyhow I'm not sick and hopefully won't be, and will in any case buy stuff from the street stands.

They sell lot of meat here, but luckily also veggies. Didn't touch that stuff. Don't even know, what that is.
Two days in Myanmar are gone now, and 12 more are to go. I'm very tired, and will work now for couple of hours. Have to write. I have so much good stuff coming out that I could scream. It seems to develop into a totally new novel, which is exciting and inspiring. Am looking forward to Bagan, Mandalay, Inle Lake and some days at the beach in the southern Myanmar - hopefully will get lot of scenes and ideas and stuff to my script. And hopefully I'll meet some people. Alone is ok, but what do I do, if I have to spend too many days without really talking to anyone?! Here in Myanmar I'm forced to stay in hotels, which is boring. In hostels there's always people to get familiar with. So far I've seen (honeymoon) couples and big groups of older tourists in downtown area. I'm not complaining, everything is close to perfect, but if it goes on like this, I might have to start talking to myself. LOUD. Or I have to start talking to myself in secret. So that no one would think that I'm now a crazy bunny and not just a bunny. I mean, funny. I'm not a bunny. Except maybe an Easter bunny when the time comes.

Now me starts working. It's going to be the next super novel. Just wait and see!

Going towards the festival zone.
P. S. My camera, that I bought in Singapore, is not my friend. I don't like it. It doesn't do what I want it to do, and its just annoying. I told it today, that if it keeps on being like that, I'll give it to charity. To a random person on the street, for example, or to a street dog.


2 kommenttia:

  1. Kiitos Myanmar -kierroksesta.Minulla on täällä toisen vapaaehtoispaikkani myötä tullut tutuksi yksi myanmarilainen(burmalainen) perhe,joka aikoinaan pakeni poliittista tilannetta siellä.Kysyin joku aika sitten voisivatko he mennä vierailulle entiseen kotimaahansa nyt kun poliittinen tilanne siellä on muuttunut mutta Pawsai sanoi,että vaikka ulkoisesti on muutoksia niin sisäisesti tilanne vielä paljonkin samanlainen.
    Mahtavaa että matkasi on innostanut kirjoittamaan uuden kirjan:) Mukavaa matkan jatkoa Maaria.

    VastaaPoista
  2. On sinulla jännitystä matkassa, mutta onneksi tunnet olosi turvalliseksi. Hyvää Tapaninpäivää :)

    VastaaPoista